"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
This past semester I have reflected often on Tradition, especially in light of my recent exposure to a cerain college. Here the chivalric code is preserved and I love that.
Dostoyevsky's "The Devils" reflects on man's rejection of tradition. The rebellion of the young against the percieved romanticim of their elders results in chaos. But I suppose what I appreciated most was that although Dostoyevsky follows in the very dark Russian tradition, he leads us in with a redemptive epigram from the Gospel of Luke 8:32-36 "A large herd of pigs was feeding there on the hillside. The demons begged Jesus to let them go into them, and he gave them permission. 33When the demons came out of the man, they went into the pigs, and the herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake and was drowned. 34When those tending the pigs saw what had happened, they ran off and reported this in the town and countryside, 35and the people went out to see what had happened. When they came to Jesus, they found the man from whom the demons had gone out, sitting at Jesus' feet, dressed and in his right mind; and they were afraid. 36Those who had seen it told the people how the demon-possessed man had been cured." So it is in our dear Lord we may find comfort, for He will put to flight these demons.
This past semester I have reflected often on Tradition, especially in light of my recent exposure to a cerain college. Here the chivalric code is preserved and I love that.
Dostoyevsky's "The Devils" reflects on man's rejection of tradition. The rebellion of the young against the percieved romanticim of their elders results in chaos. But I suppose what I appreciated most was that although Dostoyevsky follows in the very dark Russian tradition, he leads us in with a redemptive epigram from the Gospel of Luke 8:32-36 "A large herd of pigs was feeding there on the hillside. The demons begged Jesus to let them go into them, and he gave them permission. 33When the demons came out of the man, they went into the pigs, and the herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake and was drowned. 34When those tending the pigs saw what had happened, they ran off and reported this in the town and countryside, 35and the people went out to see what had happened. When they came to Jesus, they found the man from whom the demons had gone out, sitting at Jesus' feet, dressed and in his right mind; and they were afraid. 36Those who had seen it told the people how the demon-possessed man had been cured." So it is in our dear Lord we may find comfort, for He will put to flight these demons.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home